Batts Farm

Three score and ten acres known as Batts Land

By Beverley Walker

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Batts Farm' page

Batts Farm is first mentioned in the will of Peter Batt* in which he leaves to his sisters Mary Batt and Elizabeth Bassett: My two freehold estates lands grounds and premises with their appurtenances thereunto situate in the Parishes of Carshalton and Mitcham and now in the several tenures or occupations of Alexander Wederborn Esq. and Charles Footer.

In 1798 Mary Batt leased it to Henry Hoare Esq. for the term of 21 years with the proviso that he did not cut all the trees;

The farm consisted of 10 closes of land formerly 11 closes of arable meadow or pasture land and coppice or coppice ground and three score and ten acres known as Batts Land. There was also a barn, stable yard and a house. Part of the land extended to the River Wandle on the east side and on the west to Green Wrythe Lane.  It had previously been in the tenure of John Stewart.**

Henry Hoare’s sale catalogue*** in 1828 states there were various farm buildings and two new brick-built cottages. These cottages were mostly used by agricultural labourers employed by the farm.  A Mr. Batt was in residence at the time of the sale. Find out who lived at the farm in later years.

*The National Archives, PROB 11/1062 (1780);   ** Sutton Local Studies and Archives 2361/2/1a,b  (1798);   ***Sutton Local Studies and Archives  2361/2/2 (1828)

Photo:George Miller at his Lavender Still

George Miller at his Lavender Still

Sutton Local Studies and Archives


LCC Compulsory Purchase Order

The last crops were cut in 1932 when the farm made way for the building of the new St Helier Estate. The land had been the subject of a compulsory purchase order from the London County Council and their minutes show that:

Owner                        Lessees

William John Blake       John and George Miller

55 Park Lane Croydon    Beddington Corner


Frederick Benham cottage near Batts Farm Green Wrythe Lane.

Henry Weaver Batts Farm

Alfred Sycamore cottage Batts Farm

William Fuller cottage Batts Farm



The land consisted of approximately 132.6 acres including Batts Farm, Farmhouse, buildings, land, footpaths and roadway.

Shops and houses from part of The Circle, Thornton Road and Goat Road are now built on the site.

London County Council Minutes of Proceedings July-Dec 1925, London Metropolitan Archives




This page was added by Beverley Walker on 31/05/2010.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.